Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

my daughter's wedding

We are five days away from the big day, my daughter and her fiancee will be getting married in England. I have been experiencing so many feelings about this event. There are memories that keep flooding in about Meredith. I am remembering the day that she was born. I had gone through four days of really hard labor, several trips to the hospital and finally a c section on the fourth day at 5:30PM. I was so exhausted and so happy at her birth. I feel like I have never stopped having these contradictory feelings. I would feel such intense  pleasures and tears at her accomplishments and life lessons. And here she is ready to go off and have her own life adventures with her chosen love, Jonny. I have always used Kahlil Gibran's poem on Parenting to guide my way as a parent . It is never more true than now.

"Your children are not your children,
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong  not to you."

For the entire poem, please go to the following link.
http://agutie.homestead.com/files/children_1.html

No comments: