Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2012

food as a healing journey

joy of eating well
I have been on a life long journey  trying to understand the healing power of the food that we eat. . I have  switched my diet around every couple of years. In my twenties, as a self avowed hippie, I first experimented with  growing , cooking  and eating whole foods. I lived in a commune and we took turns preparing meals that were healthy and often delicious. I went on juice detoxes and imbibed many liver flushes( a combination of olive oil, garlic and lemon juice).  As the years passed, I experimented with being  eating vegetarian,  and vegan. In the past couple of years,I have followed a gluten free diet. They all have their merits and  the challenge  of coexisting in this world of confusing messages about a healthy diet.


Since buying a vita mix about 4 months ago, my husband and I have been juicing at least 1 -2 meals a day. What is quite apparent to me is this quest to eat in a healthy way is a life long journey. We  needs to figure it out for ourselves. It is important to weigh the research, your own needs, your wallet and what makes you feel good on a regular basis.  The following delicious and easy  raw  recipe is excerpted from Allyssa Cohen's  "Living on live Food cookbook".www.alissacohen.com/
Blueberry  Pie
2 cups almonds
1/2 cup dates( pitted and soaked
5 cups blueberries
2 bananas
1 1/2 tbl honey

Crust
In a food processor, grind the almonds until fine.
Add the dates and blend until smooth
Remove from machine and pat down into a pie plate

Filling
In a food processor, combine 4 cups of blueberries, 2 bananas  and 1/12 tbl of honey. Blend until smooth.
Remove from machine and stir in  1 cup of whole blue berries
Pour into crust
Refrigerate for a few hours and it will solidify
Enjoy and feel good at the same time.

No comments: