Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2011

witches, vampires and demons

green frog
I just finished listening to this fabulous book called A Discovery of Witches by Deborah E.  Harkness .A Discovery of Witches: A Novel. I picked it up in the library because I was drawn to the title. The book is filled with amazing historical information about witchcraft, alchemy, and magic. The premise is that there are four species inhabiting the planet and they include: humans, witches, demons and vampires. An interesting note is that vampire lore has only been around since the beginning of the 18th century.  I often why we are so fascinated with witches, vampires and zombies right now. As our consciousness shifts and more information rises to the surface, perhaps we are also going to understand the truth about these creatures. I have always been fascinated by witches and magic. I like learning about healing techniques that use herbal preparations and energy healing.

The main female character is a witch, named Diana and she struggles with owning and responsibly using her full witch power.  I wonder if Diana  also serves as a lesson to all of us about how important it is to  come into our own unique gifts and to use them responsibly. I was talking to a friend's   20 something son today and he talked about his fears of showing  who he is. He is afraid that people will not understand him  but probably more afraid that he doesn't really understand himself.  What great wisdom at that age. He was reading "Be Here Now" by Ram Dass Remember, Be Here Now   and loving it. I remember reading it in my twenties and not really understanding it. It was such a different world  back them. I am hopeful that the world has changed  significantly and we can begin to show who we are without as much  fear of shame or retribution. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How amazing that I came across this blog now, as within the last week, 2 book clubs I belong to discussed the book A Discovery of Witches. I loved it and am looking forward to the next two novels in the trilogy. Almost everyone I talked to has loved it as well, except a few, who are hung up on the supposedly anti-Christian facets of the book.