Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

lower your expectations and truth telling

horse sense
I was thinking some more about yesterday's blog and I could hear in my head, none of this is easy. If it were easier, I would have already done it. True, this is so true. However, one way that I have found  that really works is to lower your expectations of other people, events and ourselves.
We are expected to have balanced lives where happiness and hard work are nicely mixed up and that rarely seems to happen. We are expected to be great parents even though we are constantly struggling with paying the bills on time, getting to work on time , keeping up with technology( which by the way is a full time job) and making sure that our children are taught about the balance of work and play as well.  Then for those of us who have aging parents and family who  live far away , we need to be mindful of   their welfare and safety constantly .. I believe that lowering our expectations is the key.
For example, if you have a friend that is constantly disappointing you when you ask him to do something together .A couple of things may be helpful. Step back and say what is true about him right now, ie he is very involved with his own work and life, or  he can say no to me but not to everyone   else .Then say what is true for you, I am setting myself up by asking him over and over to do things and being rejected every time. Then you might come to, I will focus on  myself and make new friends .And  If he does want to do things, then he will have to step up to the plate. It is actually easier to do this than to  write it up. Remember, if you have constructive questions or thoughts about any of my blogs, please feel free to contact me through my website at  www.audreyoxenhorn.com.

No comments: