Search This Blog

Friday, June 28, 2013

Gloucester vacation

Gloucester, Ma
I just returned from a wonderful vacation in Mass.  I really like living in NJ most of the time. I have been offered many opportunities for a good life. When I moved East from California about 32 years ago, I was not nearly as gracious about the state. I felt that it was really hard to meet new people and that it took years to make friends.

I also found that California was about 10-20 years ahead in many of its ideas and practices. I have had to be very patient with all of the infinitesimal shifts that needed to happen in the East. Now I can easily find an acupuncturist, massage therapist, decent health food stores and  now even the Shoprite is offering decent organic produce.
What I have never found is a slower pace of life and daily friendliness. In addition,  I have not found a welcoming community of artists or of healers. During vacation, we went to two art shows in Rocky Neck and they were wonderful. There  appears to be a thriving artist and healing community up there.

I am not sure why it is so hard to find it here. I do miss it though.

2 comments:

Boud said...

Maybe you're looking in the wrong places for artists! there are plenty of us out there, and you can be one just by showing up. For instance, at the Plainsboro Public Library, first Monday of the month, at 6.30, discussions, friendly sharing, show and tell, joint exhibits, etc.

And I'd love to see you there!

Love Makes a Family, LLC said...

Maybe, I am . Thanks for reminding me about the Plainsboro Public Library. I will do my best to show up.