Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

May I have the Courage to create my own art?

fairy queen

May I have the courage today
To live the life that I would love,
To postone my dream no longer
But do at last what I came here for
And waste my heart on fear no more.
by John O'Donohue


This is the last four lines of a beautiful poem entitled "A Morning Offering" written by a wonderful  Irish poet.The poem feels like a blessing to all of us to begin our day with gratitude and then take the chance to do what we really want to do. 

Why should we create art? what will it do for me anyway?
According to an article by Lisa Borgnes-Giramonte, called" This is Your Brain on Crafts", the following things happen when you draw, paint or knit, etc
1. reduces depression and anxiety
2. reduces symptoms of Post traumatic Stress Disorder
3.reduce heart rate and blood pressure
4. improves sleep
5. increases you ability to solve difficult and elusive problems
6. decreases  awareness of physical pain
7. it is a source of pleasure and fun
8. crowds out the negative while you focus upon the beauty of your finished or unfinished creation.
9. Save money by giving your masterpiece as a gift.

There are so many reasons to create art. I hope that  any one of these will be your inspiration. 

2 comments:

Boud said...

10. If you're really lucky, you'll meet a person like Audrey who wants to study drawing in more depth.

LizA. (L for lucky!)

Love Makes a Family, LLC said...

Thanks Liz
You were a great teacher. I was so lucky to find you.