Search This Blog

Sunday, August 6, 2017

California Dreaming

Add caption
During the 1970"s, I lived in the bay area for about 6 years.  It was  definitely a unusual and exciting time. What made it special were the people, the creativity  and the newness of thinking out of the box. The fifties and early sixties was  so very predictable and stable.  I remember feeling that I would suffocate if I stayed in the East Coast and got married as many of my friends were doing. So when I went out to Ca, I had options that were unavailable back East. I was able to express more of who I was through music, art, living situations, relationships, food, classes and traveling. Its hard to imagine that I felt that my only employment options were to become a Physical Therapist or a Teacher. Relationships options were to marry or date in order to get married. Food was very bland and uninspiring.
In California, there were so many more options and we were so  high on those choices. ......
There was magic in the air and  all things were possible. There was an openness that was delicious.


And I have just returned from an 8 day trip to the Bay area to visit my dear friend, Judith. She and I were very good friends back them and we have been able to  successfully reconnect after 35 years.That has been a gift.  I wanted to love it as much as I had back then. This time, it was very congested and the driving was challenging all times of the day and night.  There is a lot of wealth and there are huge areas of homeless tent cities that are uninhabitable and unsustainable.  The openness of the 70' sand 80's has shifted to a  much less tolerant time.  Yet, it is still beautiful and awe inspiring and I am clear that I  can't go back.
In some ways, I tricked myself into believing that the west coast of Florida would be similar to the west coast . It really is not. .....However for me, like before, I am being gifted with many open doors and interesting  opportunities to do new and different things in Florida as in California. I am grateful........



No comments: