Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

body pain and myofascial release

 ahh relaxation
 I have recently discovered a wonderful Physical Therapist  who is located In Hamilton, NJ. He uses a form of myofascial massage and gentle exercise  which is simply lovely to experience. I just came back from my second session with Kevin Koob and I already feel energized and  I am starting  to visualize a future with less body pain. This is saying a great deal. Since I had my first in a series of five car accidents when I was in my twenties and they have  left me with increasing  neck and low pain . I have sought out a variety of healers, including Rolfing, chiropractic care, acupuncture, polarity massage, etc. over many years.
After doing some research, I found out that mysofascial massage is a gentle form of what  we used to call Rolfing  . Generally, it is the systematic release  of fascia which is the soft tissue component of the connective tissue that provides support and protection for most structures in the body( wikipedia).  So while Rolfing was incredibly painful, this work is very gentle. In fact Kevin seems to avoid any form of discomfort. Personally, I am so grateful for that. I have had more than my share of pain and I am looking forward to more ease and comfort in my body.
The other lovely thing is that the session consists of a massage(about 30 min.) and the learning of new exercises(about 5- 10 minutes) . I practice these exercises for 5 minutes about 3-4 times a day and that is it. Why didn't I know about Mr Koob  earlier in my life. I will follow up with this post as I physically get stronger and more relaxed in my body.

No comments: