Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2019

TO RETIRE or INSPIRE

Whimsy museum , Sarasota, Fl
http://www.whimsymuseum.org/orida
I do love to work. Actually  I love having the balance of work and play. When I am not working, I feel that there is a piece of me missing. And when I am working, I need to remember the play part. I feel whole when I have both in my life.
My grandfather retired in his 80s in NYC. He was legally blind and deaf for the later part of his life. This did not stop him from traveling to Japan for a month at a time to buy new silk  fabrics by feel. He loved working and he loved being respected for his abilities.
My uncle Harry worked  as a furrier until he was 74  and then continued as the head of shipping at the Brooklyn Museum until he was 85.
My mother worked in ESL until she was 75 and then as a piano teacher and news writer until her late 80's. 
I identified with all of them. I have always thought that I would find ways of recreating myself as I got older. And  I find that I am similar to many  other women and men of my generation that feel the need to be of value and find meaning in our lives.   It is a good feeling  to learn, grow and be noticed . Perhaps it is selfish but I don't think so. It feels so  amazing  to continue to work, mentor and teach as long as we can. We cannot fix the world but we certainly should not be deserting it either. So whether we are retired or working, it seems very important to continue to inspire ourselves, our friends, family and  the community around us. 

The Whimsy museum is a play space for adults and children where the art is both  beautiful and fun. It is located in Sarasota, Florida and a wonderful destination for all ages. http://www.whimsymuseum.org/




No comments: